COMING TOMORROW:
WOODALL SAYS 'YES' TO PITT
Thursday, January 18, 2007
By MATT AGNOLI
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER
St. Anthony guard gives early OK
Travon Woodall is quick, "fast as a bullet." So it came as no surprise when he announced his decision to attend the University of Pittsburgh midway into his junior year at St. Anthony High.
The Panthers beat out Rutgers University and Florida State.
"Why wait?" said the 6-foot, 180-pound guard who resides in Paterson with fellow Friars guard Jiovanny Fontan. "It was a comfortable decision for my family - it doesn't get any better than the Big East.
"Added St. Anthony coach Bob Hurley: "I'm excited for Travon. It's a great school, with a terrific coach. (The Panthers) have a sophomore starting point guard that will be a senior by the time Travon gets there, so that's good for him. He might even get some time."
Don't think Woodall will take it easy since the decision. He's even hungrier now to prove he belongs in a power conference like the Big East.
"When I'm guarding (Pittsburgh's) Levance Fields in practice, that'd be harder than games," envisions Woodall. "But all of that will take my game to another level."
Considering the Friars' daunting independent schedule, including national powers from Arizona to New York, Woodall is seasoned when it comes to playing against blue-chippers. Once his college freshman year starts, he'll be ready to battle powerhouses such as Connecticut, Georgetown and Syracuse.
"That's why I love it (at St. Anthony)," said Woodall. "They push kids to be the best player they can be. At Pittsburgh, it's like a home away from home."
During the Friars' sizzling 12-0 start, Woodall has averaged 9.5 points, 2.0 steals and 3.5 assists per game. He produces at a high level, burying mid-range jumpers, igniting fastbreaks and playing at breakneck speed for the nation's No.4-ranked team in the latest USA Today Super 25.
His contributions at the other end will certainly mesh with the modus operandi at Pittsburgh: defense.
"I'm a tough, hard-nosed defender," said Woodall.
Like the Friars, the Panthers preach defense. It's a style passed down from ex-Panthers coach Ben Howland (now at UCLA) to his former-assistant and head coach Jamie Dixon.
"I want to take my game to the next level," said Woodall. "I'm not worried about the NBA; I want to win a NCAA Championship, a Big East Championship."
Fred Hill, first-year coach for the Scarlet Knights and master-recruiter in New Jersey, sold Woodall hard on Rutgers. But in the end, like on the basketball court, the Panthers won out. Woodall phoned Panthers' recruiter Mike Rice about his intentions yesterday afternoon and said he heard "a big scream" on the other end.
"I didn't want to be too far," explained Woodall, "but far enough to be a man and handle things on my own. If there is a problem I don't have to run home with it."
And just like that, Woodall, "fast as a bullet," made fans in Pittsburgh very happy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment